Friday, October 31, 2008

Bean Poisoning!

Twice! Twice now I have gone to the grocery store to find that they were completely out of canned white beans. Is there an international shortage I should be aware of? Did all the white bean growers/canners have their businesses foreclosed on? What is going on? I wouldn't have been so upset if white beans weren't such a staple food at my table. I use them in so many dishes. My new favorite thing to do with them is make White Bean Sage Ravioli. Instead of reaching for the far inferior lima beans the grocery store would have me buy as a disgusting substitute, I decided to take on one of my greatest fears. I was going to make my beans the old fashioned way- starting from dried. My heart was racing. I looked side to side in the canned vegetable isle flicking my head as I finally and dramatically fixed my sights on an over head security camera. I narrowed my eyes and thought, "If you can hear me S&W bean company, that's right. I've decided to step outside your tin box." I marched over two isles to the bulk foods section and dispensed bin #614's organic navy bean contents at only $1.29/lb. With beans in bag I went home to do some research. Years ago my brother gave me The Joy of Vegetarian Cooking for my birthday. To be honest, I rarely use this book as it is completely cheese-centric, but I remembered that it had a whole section devoted to cooking beans. In my youth I would scoff at these pages thinking, "Yeah right. Like there will ever be a time I won't be able to find white beans flooding from the store shelves." How naive I was... What the book told me is that beans are not in a hurry to be cooked. First I would have to soak the beans in water overnight. This method seemed outlandishly over cautious. What food worth eating takes this long to prepare? Certainly nothing I wanted to make would require this level of comittment. I decided to consult the internet. What I found will horrify you! If ever there was a true Halloween tale of kitchen terror it was this. According to the FDA there is a serious illness known as Bean Poisoning. Stop laughing; this is true! This is the secret that keeps us all addicted to the canned varieties. Without proper education we could poison ourselves! What!? Okay, enough fear mongering. There is a sure fire way to avoid Bean Poisoning. Believe it or not it starts with soaking your beans over night to leach out some of the toxic phytohemagglutinin. I would have to be patient. Secondly you must cook your beans until they have reached an internal temperature greater than 176 degrees F. If you fail to heat them past this point, and this no joke, the toxin becomes more potent! So, armed with this knowledge I soaked my beans last night and boiled them this morning-vigorously for 15 mins and then allowed them to simmer until they were soft. I might have over cooked them a little bit but they tasted great. I ate 5 beans and am currently waiting to see if I show any signs of Bean Poisoning before I test them out on Justice. We'll know in 3-5 hours as there is a 100% rate of illness. That's just the kind of mad scientist I am. If you succeed in making your own beans without spending a day on the toilet, you can make my ravioli. Isn't that a risk you are willing to take?

White Bean Sage Ravioli

1 cup cooked white beans
2 tbsp. dried sage
1 tsp. garlic salt
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup sauted white onion
1 cup cooked spinach
olive oil as needed

Sheets of uncooked ravioli pasta.

Place all ingredients in a food processor except the oil. Turn the machine on and add the olive oil until a paste forms. Place teaspoon sized drops onto the ravioli sheets and fold them over to form little pouches. Seal them and cut them out. Boil in a large pot of salted water for 3-5 mins. Drain and serve with marinara sauce.

Happy Halloween!!!

4 comments:

Alanna said...

Well, that's interesting! I've never heard about "bean poisoning" until now (though I have heard of trypsin inhibitors in raw/undercooked soy causing a similar reaction). It must not happen very often, thank goodness! Hope you both survived the experiment. And that ravioli sounds fabulous!

HKKraft said...

I feel a little proud as I have been soaking my beans overnight for a couple years now. I find that "real" beans work much better in soups, and you know how I love my soups. However, I did not know that I was soaking them for my safety. All this time I believed the practice of bean-soaking to be a re-hydration method. Also, a strange tip that I picked up from a wonderful Mexican woman. Soak the legumes in broth. It adds an incredible amount of flavor. Thank you for warning me about the sneaky behavior of beans, I will excerise extra caution and probably overcook my beans from now on.

Unknown said...

There's nothing scary about making beans. I hope you're well over your fears.

I've taken to cooking my beans in the oven. It has a digital thermometer so you can set it where it needs to be to be safe (for me, that's 180).

What's great is you don't have to soak. Rinse the beans properly, load them and spics, stock or bullion, and put them in the oven before you go to bed. Total time, 10 minuites. 5 if you're organized. The next morning they're ready.

If you want to be cheffy about it, take 35-40 minutes in a 350-400 oven and drop a diced onion, garlic, and whatever other vegetable with some olive oil in the cooking pan. Let them roast, then add your beans and water and spices. Guaranteed great.

Nicole Manha said...

J,
Thanks for the tips! Those beans sound great.