Saturday, June 5, 2010

This One's For Jenny (But ya'll can read it too)

Hello, Jenny!! I'm speaking to you on the een-ter-net. This is a valuable tool. So when you have mastered the dishes below you can google "vegan ____" and be able to make anything! Now I understand that sometimes my food can seem confusing and complicated but that is only because when I am making things for you, I'm showing off. On a regular day I do not have the time or energy to prepare a four course brunch. I have decided to write down a simple day's worth of food if I were to make each meal at home. Keep in mind that breakfast is the fastest meal that can be veganized. For example if you are not in the mood to make my tofu home fries just have some cereal with your favorite non-dairy milk, almond is my fave, or you can make oatmeal.



Tofu Home Fries (I'm guessing these will soon be Keegan's favorite. So I left out the cayenne pepper I would usually add so they are baby friendly)



You will need:



3- smallish red potatoes cubed

1/2 a package of extra firm tofu cut into cubes- Make sure it is the kind in the tub

1 tbsp cumin powder

1 tbsp curry powder

1 pinch of turmeric

1 tsp oregano (Mexican if you got it)

1 pinch of salt (optional I don't add it because I slather this in ketchup when it's done)

2 garlic cloves minced up (you know I love you, so please, for the love of Gawd, stop using the stuff in the jar)

1/2 a red or green bell pepper (which ever is cheaper) diced

2 green onions chopped up. The whole thing minus the hairy bulb.

1 avocado (optional)

Olive oil



Take you taters and place them in a microwave safe bowl. Put a bit of oil on them and toss them to make sure they won't stick to each other. Microwave them for about 3 minutes stirring once through. Meanwhile, preheat a large non-stick skillet with another bit of oil, you can use your spay oil, to medium high heat. Add your potatoes and tofu cubes to the pan. You should give them another spritz of oil if you haven't just poured some oil in the pan to begin with. Once the taters and tofu are nicely situated with a little oil on them sprinkle all of your spices on top of them. Make a sort of even layer of spices over the mixture then begin tossing to distribute and toast your spices. Cook the tofu and taters in a single layer tossing periodically until they begin to brown. This will take about 6 minutes. Add the garlic clove and toss the ingredients again. Next, like 20 seconds later, add your bell pepper. Toss again. Once the pepper starts to soften slightly (you still want it a little crunchy) and you can smell the garlic take the pan off the heat. Add your onions. Taste to see if it needs a little more salt or something. Place in bowls with some avocado on top.



All done. Time to bask in the glow of your kitchen goddessness.



Oh wait there's still two more meals. Whew! Here we go!!!



Lunch Time: Polenta Mexicanish Style

I have included a link in case you don't know what I'm talking about when I say a tube of store bought original flavor polenta from the organic produce section of Raley's.



What you will need:



1- tube of said polenta cut into 1/4 inch rounds

1 can of pinto beans, or black beans- Your choice! Just drain and rinse them.

1 hand full of chopped fresh cilantro. Do you like cilantro? If not use parsley.

1/2 of red or green bell pepper (the other half from breakfast!)

1/2 cup of fresh or bottled salsa

green onions to sprinkle on top (optional)

Olive oil



Lay out you polenta rounds and spritz them with oil on each side. On an indoor grill pan or in a non-stick skillet grill your polenta on medium heat until it is golden brown on each side. The poleta will take 4-5 minutes per side. Meanwhile saute your bell pepper in a medium skillet until it doesn't look super raw anymore- like 1 minute. Add the beans and heat through. Add cilantro and heat that through too. On a plate put down a few polenta rounds and top with bean mixture and salsa.

Dinner: The Big Show

For dinner I am going to defer to one of my favorite vegan bloggers: Fat Free Vegan. I think this will become one of your favorite sites. Her recipes are super easy with everyday ingredients. She even makes a low fat version of Goddess Dressing! These Red Bean Chipotle Burgers are awesome. In fact, I think this is what we're having for dinner tonight.

Red Bean Chipotle Burgers

I hope I have given you some good ideas. Feel free to make these your own and add what ever you think will make them delicious. I look forward to hearing about how you do. Below you find a list of helpful vegan websites.

Love,

Nicole

Vegan Dietitian (Alanna's Blog)

VegWeb.com

VeganOutReach.org

No comments: