Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hitch up the wagon! We're moving West!

Welcome to a new world of deliciousness! I'm so excited to have this platform to share my recipes and adventures in veganism! Here I hope to insight a pioneering sense into the heart of every free-gan, vegan, or self-proclaimed carnivore.
Vegan cuisine can seem scary if you are used to simply defrosting some chicken on the kitchen counter every morning and your spice cupboard consists of some Old Bay Seasoning and Mr. and Mrs. Pig salt and pepper shakers. Well, you're not that person anymore! And to prove it, you're going to make a Beet Loaf tonight! Here is a simply spiced dish that requires no defrosting and will have you eating cheaper and digesting faster in no time!

Nicole's Beet Loaf:
1 cup uncooked quinoa (and then cook it. If you cook it in broth it eliminates bitterness) Brown rice will do instead, but remember you are forging a new path. Don't be afraid to try a little quinoa.
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 beets raw peeled and then finely minced (this is best done in the food processor)
1 small or half a large white onion finely minced
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp olive oil
Mix everything together and place in well lubricated loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or so

4 comments:

Brett said...

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen in my whole life!!!! Awesome title too! Love, Brett

Alanna said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! That beet loaf was very tasty... I look forward to future posts!

Anonymous said...

Free-gan? Oh my, what is that??

Unknown said...

You remind me of me...I have the same ideas regarding old haunts and the history of places and events.If the walls could talk we would have a juicy novel.Concerning Vegan recipes,what ever floats your boat!Love Gramma H