Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Story Part II

I was vegetarian in high school. Man, that would make a great t-shirt. We could print them and hand them out to dozens of our friends. I too could wear one. When I was a Junior in high school, my brother took his now wife on a trip to visit family in Seattle. In the airport on the way home a young man with a shaved head, and I always imagine an orange robe, handed my brother some literature on becoming vegetarian. My brother was changed immediately. If my brother was waiting for something to believe in, I'm glad that the Hari Krishna got to him first. Because if he dove head first into, say, Scientology as quickly and devoutly as he became vegan, he might be living in Tom Cruise's basement by now operating the rainbow making machine that distracts the aliens from stealing our baby's brains while they sleep. Isn't that what they believe? Anyways... Not willing to be out hipster-ed by my older and let's just say it cooler big bro, I became vegetarian too. I didn't really know why. I just did it and thought nothing about eating cheese, milk and eggs. Being "vegetarian" was enough. Having no real convictions, I am proud to say that I remained vegetarian until well into college. That's not bad for not really caring. And that is how I remained, a "lazy vegetarian" as my brother once introduced me - until November of this year. November, you see, is world vegan month. Yes, it is a little cheesy(tee hee) but I went totally vegan for November. Not much of a stretch seeing as how it is the only way I know how to cook and my true love and partner is vegan, but still I did start to notice how often I was eating animal products outside my home in the absence of eating animal products outside my home. Whew! For the first time I was eating my values and that was the warmest most satisfying feeling of being full I have ever indulged in. If I am being totally honest, I will have to tell you that the reason I never crossed over completely into being vegan outside my home is because I was scared. Yes, I was scared that by limiting myself I would be missing out in life. It is difficult to describe that what I felt during November was a limitless freedom I could not have anticipated. I will tell you a story. During this last semester I spent many hours studying with a close omnivore friend. I knew that I would be heading over to her house at 6pm straight from school. I did not want to eat any animal products so I packed myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. When I arrived at her house she proudly placed a plate of left over chicken pizza in front of me. She had saved it for me knowing that I would be hungry. I felt trapped. This was not freedom. If I was Justice, I could just say, "I'm vegan". End of story. But being me, the girl who didn't want to limit herself out in the real world, I had no recourse. I had no religion to fall back on. What I did next still makes me feel sad that I was unable to say, "No thank you". While my friend went upstairs to check on her baby I picked off the chicken and ate the pizza. Never again. I am vegan - is the greatest mantra I have ever uttered. It is my magic incantation that saves me from ever feeling obliged to take part in what I believe is the senseless, cruel, angry, and unhealthy practice of enslaving animals.
I'm back blogosphere, and this time its personal.

3 comments:

Brett said...

this was easily the most awesome blog post in history.

I really want an "I was vegetarian in high school" T shirt.

Ok, it's time to go turn on my rainbow machine!

Justice said...

My Heroine!

Alanna said...

Hooray! I am so happy and proud that you have officially gone vegan. You are awesome!